Saturday, July 26, 2008

Breaking Fitness Records!

After the charity milk run some weeks back where I had amazingly completed 9.4km in an hour, I still was unable to accept the truth that my fitness had shot through the roof. And I wasn't even training at all!

Well actually, we were not running at our best. (By the way, we brisk walked from china town to the race starting point - which is about 1.5km approximately.) During the race, we were half running, half walking and making jokes with the race volunteers. And then halfway through, a young girl tripped and fell in front of us. My partner ran off to summon the medic, while I stayed to help.

All in all, I think the delay took about 5 - 7 mins. And I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw my timing of 1 hour at the finishing line! I thought my watch was not working or something ;)

That night was a serious reflection time for me. I recalled the time when I was training furiously for a half-marathon 3 years ago. I used the word "furiously" because I had only 3 months to prepare for it, and I had never attempted running so long before.

I bought all the running books I could lay my hands on, diet, strength exercises, yoga (well, yoga did actually help by speeding up recovery), and signed up for online training guides (like the famous Burn The Fat, Feed The Muscle by Tom Venuto. And, my timing for both the Singapore & Hong Kong marathons was 2 hours 40 mins & 2 hours 50 mins respectively.

I was doing interval, weights, and the step up trainings, in fact everything the experts were teaching. I also had aching joints, sore knees (which I resolved by taking calcium tablets) and sore ankles. Although i felt fitter and stronger, but the recovery days were long.

And now, 3 years older, I'm faster, lighter and younger. Life is good man!

Of course, I may not be among the best, and there are many more fit buffs like you gals & guys out there who are better than me. But the idea is not to compete against others; rather, a continuous challenge to myself to always be at my best, achieving my fullest potential. Now ain't it cool!

Are you living at your fullest right now, because nothing beats being alive.


Greens make me fly!


May all you who read this be full of abundance, love, joy, super stamina, youth and radiance :)


Linda Loo

No comments: